About Me

I'm a writer, translator and aspiring director. Occasionally, I actually do some work instead of using this blog as a displacement exercise.

Tuesday 18 January 2011

Diary

OK, so I made a few rash promises in my last diary post about what I got up to at the weekend, so I suppose I ought to make good on them.

Firstly, Alarm Clock Britain. As far as I can tell this is Nick "Judas" Clegg's latest buzzword, used to refer to people who have to get up in the morning. Ironically, it's the exact same demographic that would like to see him baked into a pie made from his own shit, studded with 30 pieces of silver as part of a Christmassy punishment. Anyway, that's neither here nor there.

My plan for Saturday was to get up at a sensible time, cycle to the cinema via the Greenwich Tunnel and see my first 3D film. After that I'd head into town for a look around the shops before heading home for a much-deserved nice dinner. My mobile phone had other ideas.

My alarm decided, in fact, that it wouldn't go off at all. I woke at about 1pm, after the film had already started, and slunk grumblingly towards the shower. My annoyance was compounded later, when I set off in good time to get to the cinema for the next showing - only to find Greenwich tunnel closed due to a broken lift. I very quickly cycled almost all the way home, locked my bike outside the tube station and jumped on a train for the single stop journey under the river. Picking up some lunch on the way, I ran to the cinema and only missed the very start of The Green Hornet. It was pretty enjoyable and refreshingly lighthearted, but the 3D barely worked. Not impressive. One-word review in the Twitter add-on on the right.

By the time the film finished it was nearly six, and most of the shops had shut. I lounged in Starbucks with a coffee for a while before going home, stopping at the supermarket on the way for a pizza, two of my housemates later teased me for eating. I'm allowed one day off from the diet.

Roast, boil or fry?
Give me a try!
The parsnip obsession derives partially from their being delicious, and also from being able to roast them to have with the meat I'm supposed to have for dinner most nights. Eventually, I shall find another means of cooking them.

Sunday was another day of getting up very late for no apparent reason. This reason I actually managed to identify that morning, namely that when I'd taken the battery out of the phone a few days earlier and had to reset the date, I hadn't set the year. My phone thought it was a weekday. Nice one, genius.

That was another lazy day, as was yesterday - although I did do a bit of writing in the evening - and tonight was mainly occupied with chatting to a friend on the phone and writing the article immediately below. It doesn't take Schopenhauer to get a measure of the life I lead.

Tomorrow looks like another voyage into the depths of normalcy. Oh, and I'm going to see The King's Speech in the evening. I thought about doing something about the BAFTA nominations, but they were so pedestrian that it can wait until they announce the ones for the Oscars next Tuesday. Yeah, that'll be good.

There will also be my own five best films of 2010. As soon as I've seen them.

1 comment:

  1. Bear in mind that Green Hornet is a retro-fitted 3D filum, and as such will not be as good an experience as a film actually shot in 3D...

    ReplyDelete