About Me

I'm a writer, translator and aspiring director. Occasionally, I actually do some work instead of using this blog as a displacement exercise.

Tuesday 26 April 2011

Anthology of Interest

The diary format isn't working as well as it used to, possibly because less seems to be happening to me at the moment, so instead here's a collection of things I've experienced recently that were worth noting:

- Wandering into a Harry Potter signing by mistake. No, Harry, Ron and Hermione weren't there. No, I couldn't see those who were.

- A woman asking me for directions while I was on my bike waiting at a traffic light. My response was of only a few syllables.

- A housemate giving me a bottle of gin, on the grounds that he had plenty, and another housemate holding two leaving parties on consecutive nights without either informing or inviting her soon-to-be ex-cohabiters.

- An argument with a bus driver (I was right; you don't pull over the line at a pelican crossing, let alone obliterate the cyclists' stopping area) where he seemed simply to repeat everything back at me. Perhaps this is how they learn rudimentary language skills.

-Standing on a rickety stool at the posh corporate bar of a post-production company, attempting to pitch myself as a writer to a room of barely interested media types. My spiel was derailed in seconds into explaining why I was afraid of horses. I'm not.

- Realising that with a fourth Scream film coming out this week, this series of films has been in existence for half my life.

- Finishing my book group book nearly three days early, and only having to read the last 14 pages in bed. This is a record.

- Staying up until after 4am on Monday morning, patiently trying to sync my computer with my phone.

- Having my annual appraisal at the office with no notice at all, then managing to wing my way through the feedback section that made it look like I knew this was coming. Nothing to worry about, but it pays to look like you know what you're doing.

- Seeing my name in print again, and being commissioned to write another article.

No comments:

Post a Comment